Keep warm this winter
Last winter was a cold one and while we don’t know what this year has in store, we thought we’d share some simple tips to help ensure you’re prepared:
- If a cold snap is forecast, try to keep your home warm, especially your living room and bedroom. A constant temperature of 18°C is ideal.
- There is help available if you are struggling to pay your fuel bills, including the Winter Fuel Payment for pensioners and Cold Weather Payments and Warm Home Discount Scheme if you receive certain benefits.
- To find out more about these benefits and whether you could be eligible, please visit: www.gov.uk/browse/benefits/heating
- Where possible, try to keep furniture away from radiators to get the maximum benefit from your heating.
- Be a good neighbour. When cold weather hits keep an eye on those around you, particularly anyone that is frail, elderly or disabled.
- If you are going away for a while, make sure a neighbour has your contact details. So that if a pipe bursts you can find out quickly and minimise any damage. We strongly advise that all customers take out home contents insurance to cover their belongings against the cost of loss due to theft, fire or flood. Prices start from 76p per week. Find out more at www.lyha.co.uk/contents_insurance